Saturday, June 2, 2012

Why must We View The Dead, In Order To Pay Our Respects?

This one's going to be quick, since I've only got twenty minutes to type it. I never understood why we as a society feel that it's necessary to view the dead husk of a soul as way to pay our respects to them. This to me, has always been one of the most vile and morbid practices out there and I think it's not a good thing for our health either. When we see a treasured loved one that we remembered and cherished in this life as dead, it does nothing more than cause us to unecessarily grieve over them.

Grieving is good for the soul, some say. Perhaps that's true, but as for me I'd like to remember the dead as they were when they still were alive. This is why I don't like going to funerals or viewings. I don't want to see the person buried in the casket - that's just disheartewning and depressing. I know that people around me will die as we all do, but I really like the idea of celebrating their life with a day of rememberance, not mourning their death. Everyone has their time to go, and we should accept it as a part of life and be thankful that we got to chance to see and to be around them when they were alive.

Everyone has their own unique journey, and each one of them is interesting and full of more twists and turns than any bestseller ever written. People have been through fascintaing things that we can't even imagine, or can't even come to imagine; and we should be thankful for the time that they had with us. Death is the eternal promise, it is the impossible hurdle. It comes, whether you want it to or not.

But we should not think of the loved one as having lived unfulfilled, because they lived as the universe dictated them, and did what they were meant to accomplish. I don't want a funeral personally, with all of my favorite heavy metal songs blaring out the speakers of the funeral home. I just want a simple celebration of my life. If I died tomorrow, I'd want you to actually sit down and read the words I wrote, whether they be in one of my books, or on my blogs. Because this is what I want to be known for.

I am a man of words, a man who wants no tombstone; nor do I want to be in any six foot prison of dirt and maggots. Cremate me and throw my ashes asunder when I've left this world. I don't want anyone to stare at my preserved husk. It's just rather creepy and morbid to me, really.

It also might keep the zombie population down :)

But seriously, folks. Be thankful for the time you have with the person, and remember them when they were alive. Don't mourn for them, because chances are that they are much better off now in the afterworld; then they ever were in this one. Nobody wants to lose those they love, but it happens.

Be thankful for each and every single fucking day that you get with another person. You really never know just what might happen to them.

In a few hours, I'm going to rant and rave about the new Castlevania; so that'll get our minds off this rather sullen topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment