Saturday, July 7, 2012

I Just Can't Seem To Get Read. (Utter Frustration)

Well, I've done all I can do. I've written the books, I've uploaded them and I've promoted until I'm blue in the face. But it seems that people really don't care these days, unless you're on the NY Times Bestseller list. But you have to pull some legs and arms off before you get to that, or you can apparently write well crafted smut and also make it to the top of that list.

Basically, it's all about what America wants. Sadly, America doesn't want anything new. Not these days. Give them a story that they've never read, and they'll go back and read something that's just like something that they've already read before. People just don't read the way they used to, and it usually has to be promoted via some TV show or film before they even realize there even were books.

Did you know that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was actually based on a book of the same name? You didn't? Well, I'm more than sure that you're not the only one out there who thought it was some B-Movie idea. But in all actuality, the script for that film was written by the writer of the book. A rarity, but it happens. This is why the dialogue and overall story was good in the film. If some hack had written it, the film would've been the same Hollywood mush that we usually get dolled out to us, by the powers that be entertainment.

But this runs full circle back into my dilemma. A man quickly approaching his thirties with a fine set of novels and a unique book of shorts, and he still doesn't have one sale other than the few he's purchased to sell to others, or the friends who have actually purcahsed the books themselves. Which is even small in amount, but the economy does suck right now. It's not even about the money factor. I just want the world to read my work, as it's much different from anything else out there on the shelves.

But maybe that's not what people want. Chizine advertised some guy's book about the MEME of Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Holy shit! This is literature nowadays? I'll bet it'll even become a film. Yes, some dorky guy thought he would write a fanfic about pirates and ninjas, and boom - it finds a label to pick it up. But I guess that this is the same thing that good bands who never seem to get signed go through.

Apparently, you have to know somebody. If you don't, then you might as well stand outside stripped naked on the street corner with your novel, and offer sexual services to people, if they'll just read one page of it. But that seems to be the way our world works.

People don't want to think anymore, I suppose. But the internet shows us that truth daily. I only wonder how many more of these uneducated knuckleheads are going to abuse themselves for their pleasure of the Roman audience. They might as well be calling out for blood and gore, because that's just what they're getting. A fellow hurts himself, and he becomes famous. But a talented fellow is cast aside for the idiot.

What kind of society do we live in, if we honor the fool?

Perhaps this is why I can't get read. Because I'm not the fool who's hurt himself and posted it online for the entire world to see.

Still, I fail to understand humanity. Especially at this day and age. Surely, it's our final days.

No comments:

Post a Comment