Monday, June 27, 2016

Making Preparations For "The First Day (Of The End Of The World)"

As many of you already know by now, I've been working on my second novella in the Underworlders series, Paris Underworld. Looking back on it, I've become so disinterested with the plot that I've decided to skip it. Which I can most certainly do, as First Day doesn't actually require that backstory and perhaps it's better to leave a bit to the imagination. But don't worry, K's thoughts of life before the change will occur and you'll find out just as much about who she was, as you'll find out about who she is now. From looking at Deviant Art images, I've come across some rather good Cyberpunk pieces, one of which adorns the blog right now. This is more or less the direction I'm going for with First Day. Life inside the Ziggurat is very much inspired by the world of Cyberpunk and will feature augmented human-life forms as you might expect in a world where technology reigns supreme. Androids will also populate the place, as the reader learns about the kind of cyber-utopia that the world's most privileged and elite people will experience outside of the wasteland in which the first novel occurs.

In a way, it's going to be like writing the wasteland sections of WD2, but with a different character, One who has no real powers, and is mainly starving to death. There's a section where she'll try sand and dirt even, just to stay alive. The things that people will "eat" in this book are going to be a bit unnerving, but I wanted to make it a bit more realistic than the world of WD. I used WD2 for practice with this concept, even though First Day will be one of the shortest books I've ever written. I'm shooting for 150-200 pages as far as the manuscript is concerned, which is quite minuscule.

I know how this will open, and how this will end. I can say that much. I never planned a happy ending either, as it's a cautionary tale. I'd like to come right out and say that now, because I don't want to disappoint people expecting things to be all rosy. That's not what First Day is, nor does it represent what it will be. As a matter of fact, the ending sentence for the series is just two words long. But after reading the piece, those two words will speak volumes. One word of that is mainly the letter "I." I can also tell you that the second word is not "died" or anything related to death. It's going to hit a bit harder than that. It's going to be unexpected, like a sucker punch right to the sternum. Once you read those two words, the real work begins. The subconscious work, where you'll fill in the rest of the story.






8 comments:

  1. Technically that's wrong though, as one word of the sentence is just "I." It refers to something the character did, or perhaps failed to do. It's a common mistake, especially considering the circumstances. It requires a lot of balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I fell" actually. It'll make more sense in the text, especially seeing as what will come before it. I'll explain some of the concepts and the ending a bit in an afterword. I don't want to reveal what happened, as the reader can guess. But I will talk about why I did it.

    I don't believe that every story should have a happy ending, as we've seen several great books that don't. This wasn't a decision to be edgy or on the fringe, it's just what felt natural. I'll have a more whimsical tale after this and the next novel/series (will work on them simultaneously - use one as a fallback for writer's block on the other) and that will be relatively happy. After that, I'm going into Y/A material.

    These next few will be small, but the whimsical novel will be very, very large. It will contain several stories relating to the character's world. Because he is his world, technically. If it works, it'll become a series. Same thing with the fallback book.

    First and Second Day are completely self-contained though. Once I finish them, I'll have no desire to go back and amend things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why should I have any desire to read this story if you've already spoiled the ending and the gist of the series?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't really said much of anything. There's a bit I've kept under wraps. Knowing the beginning and end doesn't really explain the journey. I never try to get too caught up in the end of something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I DON'T KNOW WHO THE FUCK YOU ARE BUT I KNOW THE TYPE OF PERSON YOU ARE

    YOU'RE LIKE STEPHEN KING. WHEN I READ THE ENDING TO THE DARK TOWER, IT WAS LITERALLY

    >LOL HE ENTERED THE TOWER SHOUTING PEOPLE'S NAMES

    AND THEN HE HAS THE AUDACITY TO BERATE YOU FOR WANTING A SATISFYING CONCLUSION AND WANTING TO KNOW WHAT WAS SO IMPORTANT AND INTERESTING INSIDE. FUCKING BELITTLING YOU FOR HAVING CURIOSITY AND SPOUTING SOME BULLSHIT ABOUT HOW
    >THE JOURNEY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE DESTINATION

    WELL GUESS WHAT?!

    YOU'RE FUCKING WRONG AND EVERYONE WHO THINKS LIKE THAT IS WRONG! THE POINT OF A JOURNEY IS TO GET TO A DESTINATION YOU WANTED BECAUSE THEN YOU WOULDN'T UNDERTAKE THE JOURNEY IN THE FIRST PLACE!

    IF I FOLLOWED THAT LOGIC THEN MY GRANDFATHER WOULD'VE DIED MUCH EARLIER BECAUSE I WOULD'VE GONE FOR HIS INSULIN BUT INSTEAD OF GETTING TO THE PHARMACY, I WOULD'VE MET INTERESTING PEOPLE, AND HAD TEENAGE DRAMA PROBLEMS AND MAYBE GOT INTO A FIGHT, AND NEVER MADE IT TO MY DESTINATION, AND COME BACK A WISER MAN.

    BUT GUESS WHAT?!

    MY FUCKING GRANDFATHER WOULD'VE BEEN STILL DEAD BECAUSE I NEVER MADE IT TO MY FUCKING DESTINATION!

    SO YES, I AM COMPARING THIS SHIT TO MY GRANDFATHER DYING BECAUSE IT'S METAPHORICALLY THE SAME THING. AND YOU'RE A PIECE OF SHIT IF YOU SUPPORT THIS.

    The only thing. THE ONLY FUCKING THING that makes this all better is that I only joined the bandwagon a month ago. If I had invested more time in this, I would've felt bad. Now, NOW I can just go on with my life. But I feel so bad for other people, who ARE actually invested in this.

    SON OF A MOTHERFUCKING FUCK I AM STILL FURIOUS!

    ReplyDelete